AIM OF THE PROGRAMME
The aim of this curriculum harmonization is to train competent clinical laboratory service personnel to meet present and projected service needs in primary and secondary health care services in ECOWAS Member States.
This is a three (3) year intensive semester based program with a strong practical medical laboratory exposure component.
At the end of the training programme, the Medical Laboratory Diploma holder should have the basic competences in the following areas:
- Knowledge: At the end of each course, the graduand should have acquired basic knowledge that will enable them to work under the supervision of qualified Medical Laboratory Scientists.
- Skills: The graduand should be able to handle, process and perform simple systematic analysis of routine specimens he/she receives.
iii. Attitude: The graduand should appreciate the importance of his/her role in the chain of activity within the diagnostic laboratory. He/she should know the proper reporting procedure and action for any sample received in a professional manner that ensures the spirit of team-work and skilful communication with his/her peers and supervisory laboratory personnel.
- Competency and Professionalism: The graduand should be fully competent in planning and managing the work load. This comprises organizing the work flow and proper utilization of space, instrumentation and resources in ensuring the production of accurate and reliable results for effective diagnosis.
Students who successfully complete this programme should be able to:
- Seek employment in a clinical laboratory setting with the ability to perform routine laboratory procedures in each department with accuracy and precision.
- Recognize normal and abnormal test results and take necessary action with critical values.
iii. Perform and interpret basic quality control procedures.
- Operate and perform basic maintenance and troubleshooting of laboratory equipment.
- Recognize and adhere to safety policies and practices.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics in interactions with patients, co-workers and other personnel.
- ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
This programme is to train competent medical laboratory personnel at the middle manpower level. It entails exposing the students to basic knowledge and the practices of medical laboratory science.
This is a three (3) years intensive semester based programme with a strong medical laboratory exposure component.
- Prospective students for this programme must possess a minimum of four (4) credits passes at Senior Secondary School Certificate Level / GCE / NABTEB O-Levels in the following subjects: English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and at least a pass in Physics at not more than two sittings.
- Prospective students will be selected through a competitive entrance examination, where applicable.
- Candidates with MLA or OND (in SLT) Certificate in addition to the requirements in sub-section (a) above may be considered for admission into the 200L of the programme.