Professional Diploma in Health Information Management
This programme is designed to provide the grandand with the knowledge and skill to assist in planning, collating organizing, disseminating monitoring and vital information required at the primary Health Care, and state levels in order to ensure effective and comprehensive health care delivery.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
A diplomate of this programme should be able to:
- Assist in Planning and organizing health information services in health care delivery system.
- Organize and control health records, under supervision, in health and medical establishments.
iii. Collect, Store, Retrieve and preserve health information
- Collate, Analyse and present health statistical and under supervision
- Participate in planning quality control, evaluation, researches in health care delivery system and other relevant committees in defining standards for health information.
- Function as monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Its duration shall be three academic sessions of six semesters, including supervised clinical work experience (or SIWES).
Applicants with the following qualifications may be considered for admission into the Professional Diploma programme.
A minimum of 4 credit in the relevant subjects, at not more than two (2) sittings at the SSCE, WASC or its equivalent. The subjects must include:
- English language,
- Biology or Health Science
- Physics or Chemistry and
- Any other subject.
The Diploma is a three year terminal professional programme including industrial Attachment under the supervision of the Health Records Officers Registration board of Nigeria (HRORBN).
The curriculum of Diploma programmes consists of five main components. These are:
- General Studies/Education
- Basic/foundation Courses
iii. Professional/Specialized Courses
- Supervised Industrial Work Experiences Scheme (SIWES).
STUDENT INDUSTRIAL WORK EXPERIENCE SCHEME (SIWES)
A minimum of four week SIWES shall be undertaken by the student at the end of each second semester of the Diploma programme.
A granduant of this programme will be awarded a Professional Diploma in Health Information Management.
CONDITIONS FOR THE AWARD OF ND CERTIFICATE
The HRORBN will award Diploma to candidates who successfully completed the programme in RIHT after passing the prescribed course work, examinations, diploma project, supervised work experience scheme (SIWES) and attendance.
INDEXING OF STUDENTS
All newly admitted students will be presented for indexing by the HRORBN within the first semester into the school of admission.